Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving is dangerous, and there is no excuse for getting drunk and then getting behind the wheel. When people choose to drink and drive, they put other motorists in harm’s way, and they often do so with devastating consequences.
If you need to seek just compensation for a drunk driving accident in The Villages, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with a The Villages drunk driving accident attorney. Our attorneys have decades of collective experience representing victims and families, and we have helped numerous clients recover their losses following serious and fatal accidents.Understanding Your Legal Rights After a Drunk Driving Accident in The Villages
Due to the inherent risks of driving under the influence, individuals and families who suffer losses in car accidents involving drunk drivers have clear legal rights. Drunk drivers can be held liable, their insurance companies can be required to provide coverage, and in many cases other parties can be held liable as well.
When we represent the residents of The Villages and their families in drunk driving accident cases, we pursue all available claims for financial compensation. Depending on the circumstances involved, this may include filing claims against:
- The Drunk Driver’s Insurance Company – Auto insurance covers drunk driving accidents, and driving while intoxicated is a form of negligence for which accident victims and families can pursue fault-based compensation in Florida. If the driver who hit you or your loved one has insurance, our The Villages drunk driving accident lawyer can seek the maximum compensation available under his or her policy.
- The Victim’s Insurance Company – Drunk driving accident victims can often seek coverage under their own auto insurance policies as well. In addition to filing for personal injury protection (PIP) coverage, you may be able to file an uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) claim as well if you have this coverage under your policy.
- A Bar or Restaurant that Overserved the Drunk Driver – Under Florida’s “dram shop” law, bars, restaurants and other establishments can be held liable for serving alcohol to minors, to individuals who are clearly intoxicated, and to individuals who are known alcoholics.
- The Owner of the Drunk Driver’s Vehicle – Under Florida’s law of “negligent entrustment,” if the drunk driver was behind the wheel of someone else’s vehicle, it is possible that the vehicle’s owner could be held partially responsible for the crash.
- The Drunk Driver’s Employer – If the drunk driver was working at the time of the crash, then his or her employer could also be liable. Employers can be held liable for negligent hiring and supervision, and they can also face “vicarious liability” for the negligent acts of their employees.
Our Villages Drunk Driving Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton are available 24/7 to help with your injuries as a result of a drunk or drugged driver. We will do everything within our power to make sure your rights are best protected and that we check all the necessary boxes to make sure your interests are well represented.
When you or someone you love is harmed by an intoxicated motorist then we will take necessary action to help you, including the following steps:
- Fully investigating the accident and making sure it is well documented. Identifying the vehicle the at-fault driver was driving - was it a commercial vehicle or personal car?
- Filing a motion in civil court seeking financial damages.
- Researching what the at-fault driver was doing before the accident - were they over served at a bar or restaurant?
If you were involved in any type of collision with an intoxicated driver in The Villages, then you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and all other losses associated with the crash.
We know that this is an especially difficult time, so we want to provide you with the peace of mind that someone has your back and will stand up for your rights. We will work tirelessly to recover the full and fair compensation your injuries merit. We are confident that we can be successful in your case, and as one of our clients you will pay us nothing unless we recover monetary compensation on your behalf.Speak With a The Villages Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today
If you would like to speak with an attorney about seeking financial compensation for a drunk driving accident in The Villages, we encourage you to schedule a free initial consultation at Whittel & Melton, LLC. To schedule an appointment at a time and location that are convenient for you, please call 352-369-5334 or contact us online today.