Injuries suffered in a bicycle accident can be traumatic. You could be facing spinal cord trauma, a traumatic brain injury (TBI), broken bones, fractures, torn ligaments, severed limbs, joint damage, broken collarbones, and numerous other injuries. Your treatment plan could take weeks, months, or even years, depending on the severity of your injuries. This is where The Villages bicycle accident attorneys at Whittel & Melton come in.
We can work with medical professionals and insurance providers to make sure that you receive the medical care that your injuries warrant. We want to make sure the full scope of your injuries are covered both now and in the future, if necessary. Whether you live in The Villages, Bushnell, Tavares, Ocala, or elsewhere in Marion, Sumter, or Lake County, we can pour over the details of your accident and work to get your medical, financial, and legal matters all taken care of in a timely fashion.The Risk of a Bicycle Accident is Too High in Florida
The NHTSA has narrowed down the most common reasons bicycle accidents occur: 1. Falls and 2. Collisions with cars. No matter the reason for the crash, the main thing all cyclists want to do is prevent a tragedy from happening to them. The good news is that there are things bikers can do to prevent an accident from happening. The first thing is to understand some key bicycle safety facts:
- The most common time for a bike-related accident to happen is between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., regardless of what season it is.
- Statistics show that more bicycle deaths occur in urban areas (75% in 2017) than in rural areas (25% in 2017).
- Male deaths in bicycle accidents in 2017 were 8 times higher than females.
- Lastly, in 2017, alcohol was a factor in 37% of all bicycle fatalities.
The key takeaway here is to ride responsibly on the roadway. In Florida and every other state, cyclists are required to follow the same rules and responsibilities of the road as all other motorists.Bicycle Accidents in Lake, Sumter, and Marion Counties
The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) recently released 2019 data for bicycle accidents. Here is the breakdown for The Villages and the surrounding areas:
- 76 Bicycle Accidents
- 1 Fatality
- 71 Injuries
- 57 Bicycle Accidents
- 1 Fatality
- 54 Injuries
- 15 Bicycle Accidents
- 1 Fatality
- 14 Injuries
Defensive biking means being focused and alert to others sharing the road with you. You want to try and predict what others will do, before they do it because the sooner you anticipate a risk, the sooner you can avoid a potential crash. What are some ways you can avoid a bike crash?
- Just like a car, obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Ride with the flow of traffic, which means travelling in the same direction as traffic.
- Always assume other drivers cannot see you
- Keep an eye out for any potential hazards that could cause you to fall, such as potholes, gravel, trash, grates, or even train tracks.
- Do not use your cell phone or other devices while biking. Texting, talking, or listening to music are all distractions that can take your ears and eyes away from the road, which can ultimately result in a tragic accident.
Even if you follow all the rules, an accident may be beyond your control. No matter if you were partially to blame or not, a consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer will help you determine your next steps.Learn Your Legal Options by Scheduling a Free Consultation With The Villages Bicycle Accident Lawyers at Our Firm
At Whittel & Melton, our personal injury attorneys are here to help any cyclists that were injured or wrongfully killed in accidents that were the result of someone else’s negligence. If another person’s negligence is to blame for your cycling injury, we want to help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve for your suffering. On that same note, if you lost a loved one in a bicycle fatality caused by another driver or a poorly maintained path or road, we want to help you fight for any monetary compensation that may be available.
The Villages bicycle accident lawyer will fully investigate the accident and determine liability. We can then fight aggressively on your behalf to recover the true value of your accident case, either through negotiations or in court. You can reach us today online or by calling toll-free at 1-866-608-5LAW (5529) or call 352-369-5334.