Justia Lawyer Rating
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Super Lawyers
American Association for Justice
Florida Justice Association
Avvo Badge
Florida Justice Association
Best Law Firms
Best Lawyers
2020 Biker Justice USA
American's Top 100

Criminal Appeals

Courts do not always make the right decisions the first time. When errors are made regarding any criminal matter the consequences can be life shattering. Inaccuracies can change the entire outcome of a case that can lead to punishments that do not fit the crime and innocent people being sent to prison. If serious errors were made in a trial or justice was not wholly served, the defendant has the opportunity to file an appeal that asks a higher court to review and reevaluate the verdict made at trial.

It is important to realize that losing a case does not translate to immediate grounds for an appeal. More than just a retrial, an appeal revisits issues of law that may have been overlooked in a particular case. An appeal can be made if the defendant has reason to believe a sizable error or errors were made during the original trial by the judge, jury or any attorneys involved.

Appeals can be granted based on several factors including:

  • Positive evidence regarding your case was excluded from trial for improper reasons.
  • Negative evidence was admitted when it should not have been allowed.
  • The judge or jury applied the incorrect law to your situation.
  • The prosecutor or your trial attorney did not argue the facts of your case correctly.
  • The jury produced a confused verdict.
  • The decided sentence did not fit the crime.

If you wish to file an appeal in Florida State Court, a notice must be filed within 30 days of sentencing. If this deadline lapses before you decide to file, you lose the right to challenge the verdict.

Is a Criminal Appeal the Same as a Retrial?

We get asked this question a lot by potential clients, and the simple answer is no. In a state or federal criminal appeal, our Villages Criminal Appeals Lawyers at Whittel & Melton will fight the judgement or order made by the court that we believe were errors of some kind. The facts of the case that were presented at the original trial will not be revisited, and we will bring attention to any legal errors that arose during the course of the state or federal trial in question.

If you received an unfavorable outcome during your criminal trial, then you can seek assistance from us to represent your best interests in a criminal appeal. Whether your appeal involves the state or federal level, you need the legal services of a criminal appeals attorney to back you up. You want a lawyer that has the knowledge and skills that only great criminal appellate attorneys possess. Our Villages Criminal Appeals Lawyers at Whittel & Melton are who you need to help take your case back to court and challenge your verdict or sentence. We may be able to get your sentence reduced or get you a new not-guilty verdict. Call us today at 352-369-5334 or contact us online to request a free consultation to learn more.

Criminal Appellate Lawyers in The Villages

Criminal trials often result in incorrect verdicts. We see this quite frequently and understand how to use the appellate process to provide our clients with the best opportunity to attain justice. We cannot stress this enough: appeals have strict time limitations - so you must not waste any time if you are considering this option. Our Villages Criminal Appeals Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can give you an honest and thorough review of your case so that we can help you understand whether or not you have grounds for an appeal. Our in-depth knowledge of the appellate process allows us to scrutinize every detail of a case to uncover factors that may have been overlooked that could be a valid basis for an appeal.

Florida law governing criminal appeals can be quite complex. The Villages Appellate Lawyers at Whittel & Melton are well-versed in the intricacies associated with criminal appeals including filing, preparing written and oral arguments and drafting and presenting counter arguments. While criminal appeals can be challenging to prevail, if it can be proved that a significant error of law was made, then appellate judges can overturn a previous ruling.

If you were convicted at a trial and justice was not served or you just decided to plead guilty and later recognized it was a mistake, you absolutely have the right to a second chance. For a free assessment of your case, call Whittel & Melton in The Villages at 352-369-5334 as soon as possible or fill out our confidential online consultation form. We're accessible to discuss your case 24 hours a day, seven days a week and every day of the year.

Client Reviews
"Great staff. Super friendly and professional. Highly recommend." A.H.
"The staff was very professional and attentive. They answered all my questions and walked me through the process step by step. I was very pleased with the outcome of my case." D.W.
"This firm was extremely helpful and courteous to deal with. I did not expect to need their services, but was fortunate to find such a great firm. Thank you for your services." E.S.