Put Safety First Memorial Day Weekend in The Villages

May 27, 2016 Posted in Personal Injury, The Villages News, Villages Auto Accident Attorney, Wrongful Death

Memorial Day Weekend is the last weekend in May and marks the beginning of summer! While this is a weekend of remembrance, it is also a time for relaxation and time spent with family and friends.

Sadly, the Memorial Day weekend often brings a high number of tragedies. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every year around 400 people die in the United States, and on average, we see about 13.1 percent more traffic deaths than on other non-holiday weekends.

The most common factors that cause these accidents, have been cited by law enforcement across the country as the “fatal four.”

  1. Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or illegal drugs
  2. Speeding
  3. Distracted driving
  4. Failing to wear seatbelts


Reports indicate that 44 percent of all traffic fatalities that occur over the Memorial Day period are alcohol-related. According to the NHTSA, a large number of holiday travelers and a higher number of alcohol-impaired drivers cause nearly twice the number of motor vehicle deaths during summer months than during the rest of the year combined.


According to the NHTSA, 38 percent of fatal auto accidents over Memorial Day Weekend are caused by speeding. When a driver speeds they seriously limit themselves from being able to negotiate curves or maneuver around obstacles that may be on the roads. Not to mention, the stopping distance makes it much more difficult to avoid crashes.

Distracted Driving

The Insurance Information Institute recently reported that nearly 27 percent of all vehicle crashes in the U.S. involved the use of cell phones when accidents occurred. Any activities that may take a driver’s attention off the road jeopardize the safety of everyone on the roadway. This includes talking or texting on cellphones, eating, talking with passengers and other distractions.

Not Wearing Seat Belts

The NHTSA estimated that 87 percent of vehicle occupants wear seat belts when travelling in cars in the United States. That leaves 13 percent of drivers and passengers who are not buckling up and seriously increasing their risk of being injured or killed in a collision.

Auto accidents are usually devastating, and often result in injuries and deaths. Our Villages Auto Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton have seen the results of these accidents, which is why we strongly encourage everyone to drive responsibly.

If you are in an auto accident this Memorial Day weekend, we are here to help you. Call us at or contact us online for a free consultation.

Client Testimonials

"I have been to this office three different times and have not one complaint! Always prompt and on point. I wouldn't pick any other office!"

— Rosemary Sanchez

Contact Us

Whittel & Melton logo Whittel & Melton, LLC

510 County Road 466, Suite 203-W
The Villages, Florida 32159
Phone: 352.369.5334

Whittel & Melton logo Whittel & Melton, LLC

Home Office:
11020 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill, FL 34608
Toll-free Statewide: 1.866.608.5529
Facsimile: 1.352.556.4839

Satellite Consultation Offices located:
Bushnell, Gainesville, Inverness,
Miami, New Port Richey, Ocala,
Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa

Twitter Google Plus